a little town on the out skirts of Salem. The Wat or temple was built on February 25, 1999. It was erected from funds donated by Buddhists from all over Oregon and nearby States.
The main objectives of our temple are:
1. To promote the teaching of Buddhism.
2. To promote the good customs of Buddhism.
3. To be the center of activities of Buddhists, no matter where they were they were originally from.
4. To be the center for meditation.
5. To be the center if Dhamma teaching for anybody who is interested, Buddhists or not.
6. To be the place of worship. The significant days include New Year Day, Makha Buja day, Song kran Day, Visakha Buja, Buddhist Lent, National Mother Day, Father Day, Thai Bite (which is the biggest fund raising day of the year, where all the restaurants donate food to be sold.), the end of Lent Day, and Kathina Celebration Day.
7. In cooperation with TSA (Thai student Association of Oregon State University and Portland State University) and Thai Association located in Portland, Wat Buddha Oregon has been a host of many crucial events such as Thai Bite, Thai classical dancing, music performing and etc. in order to promote the awareness of Thai culture and tradition.
The daily happening at the temple:
1. People bring food to the temple to offer to the monks and in turn to have the opportunity to listen to the dhamma talk and learn and practice meditation.
2. There is a meditation class every Monday Night at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM opened to the public.
3. There is a retreat meditation the first weekend of every month, starting on Friday at 6:00 PM to Sunday afternoon according to Dharma teaching. Everyday, the monks at the temple will conduct the morning and evening chanting and meditate. Anybody who is interested is welcome.
(Space for the picture of the future new temple one picture)
Currently, we are planning to construct a new building, Buddhist monastery, which will be used not only for meditation education, but also language learning center providing languages classes including Thai, Laotian, Cambodian and Vietnamese. This new monastery, consequently, will support and accommodate new coming meditation practitioner and allow the monks to conduct many essence Buddhist activities. Therefore, we would like to invite everyone to be the part of this milestone event of Wat Buddha Oregon by donating fund to complete this holy construction.
Thank you very much for kindheartedness.